At Westcliffe Family Dental, we care not only about your current oral health but also about protecting the future of your oral health. To show how much we care, we perform regular oral cancer screening, so that in the unfortunate event that oral cancer occurs, we can catch it early on. Early detection is key to increasing the chances of survival and minimizing the spread of cancer.
As part of the screening, our dentist will discuss with you about your oral health history and potential risk factors of oral cancer. Our dentist will then take an in-depth look at your mouth, neck, and throat (with dentures removed) so that any abnormalities can be detected.
Other concerning signs for oral cancer may include:
- Patches that appear red or white
- A lump, rough spot, small eroded area or crusty patch
- A sore or irritation that doesn’t seem to go away
- Pain, tenderness or numbness in your mouth
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, speaking or moving your tongue or jaw
- A change in the way your teeth feel together when you close your mouth
If you notice any of these warning signs, it is important you call Westcliffe Family Dental at 509-627-6888 and make an appointment for your oral cancer screening in Richland, Washington. As with any form of cancer, early detection greatly increases the chances for successful treatment.